Thursday, November 3, 2011

Band Reunion

Allow me to regress to my band geek self....


It was my high school band director's 25th year, so thanks to a private group on Facebook, the alumni planned to come back and surprise him at the annual potluck at the end of marching band season on October 30. On Saturday night, I was obsessively on Facebook watching as the alumni at the Indiana State competition updated us as the awards were announced---and Homestead won! This is the first time they won state in 15 years, when I was in band, and as Mr. Barber was so kind to point out---the last time we won state was the year that this year's current freshmen were born! Can that be possible?! Does it really feel like it could be THAT many years since high school?


What a great reunion for the alumni!


We gathered in a circle on the football field--a pre-competition ritual, but we had to make a double circle. There were 240 kids in the band this year, but it seemed the alumni outnumbered them! And yes....it was a messy circle...


"I will not let you down"



"Are you ready band?" "Hell yes!"


Mr. Barber, his assistant director, Mr. Wadkins, and their wives. The wives knew, but everyone managed to keep Mr. Barber and Mr. Wadkins in the dark! Mr. Barber was shocked and speechless, and there were a lot of tears. He was the best teacher I had in high school--teaching us all life lessons. It's amazing to realize what we learned from the program, especially as we talked to each other all these years later....And it was weird to talk to people that I haven't seen since high school about our kids, jobs, etc. How things change!



Emma and my parents came, too! I do think the old high school letter jacket helped us look 10 years younger!!!! =) One friend managed to get her jacket around her almost 9 month pregnant belly---someone's response on FB--"I didn't know you were with child when you were in high school!"


Emma was all smiles and the center of attention!


Not sure what Emma was up to here...

So strange being back at the high school--which seemed so different--and great to see some old faces! It did turn into a band reunion, and it was a great trip down memory lane! I remembered my old band geek self! But I won't let anyone suffer through listening to me blow off the dust of my old flute or oboe! lol Thanks, Mr. Barber, for teaching us--not about winning--but about striving for our best, no matter the outcome--and so much more. We Believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment